Friday, March 8, 2013

March on the Homestead


Hi everyone!  Thank you for your interest in my little Homestead!   

Despite the snowstorm, spring is definitely here on the homestead.  The lilacs are budding, daffodils are coming up, and my critters are active!  I hope spring is finding you warm, well-fed and ready to spend more time outside as we are blessed with more nice days.

Most of my seeds for the garden are ordered, although I still need a few herbs and my seed potatoes.  I'm starting seeds this weekend.  Planning the garden expansion is so much fun!

My hens are laying again, and I've expanded the flock with some pretty black stars, rhode island reds and isa browns.  I'm planning on hatching out some of their eggs next month for fall eggs.  Eggs are $3/dozen, and the yolks are beautiful!

I've started my first batch of meat chickens.  These chicks are adorable, and fast growing.  To maximize taste and nutrition, I'm feeding fermented feeds and will move them out onto pasture soon.  They'll be ready for your belly or your freezer mid-May.

Turkey poults will arrive April 14th!  I've ordered some heritage crosses, as well as a couple of broad breasted and a pair of Sweetgrass turkeys.  Most of those turkeys will be available as Thanksgiving approaches.   The broad breasteds will be ready mid summer, and I'm hoping to keep those pretty Sweetgrass turkeys as breeding stock.

I have limited rabbit availability, and will continue to have rabbits available all year.  Right now I have 4 rabbits available.  Rabbits are $4/lb farm processed, and weigh between 3 1/2 and 4#.

I still have a few CSA shares available.  Please let me know if you are interested in a share, so I can plan the garden accordingly.  

Thank you for taking the time to read, and for your support!  Enjoy the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment